• IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
  • Survival Skyblock Pending Builder wand/custom enchant

Mummieman

here is my small suggestion.
    we build a lot of farms in cultivate maybe it is a nice idea of having a builder's wand
    the idea:

it uses the blocks in your offhand same way replant works on survival.
    you can have different levels of builder wands that increases the amount of blocks placed.
    it can only place blocks against existing blocks for example if you aim it towards a 2 block side it will only place 2 blocks against it. up to the max of the amount of blocks the wand can place.
    i think it would help players build big buildings or farms.

greetz Mummie

Nolan

Owner
    I've thought about Builder Wands in the past and my main apprehension with them is balance. I currently do not see a way to balance these so that people who have to place all their blocks can still be somewhat competitive. There are many advantages provided to those with rare items. I think the main obstacle with building automatic farms is the fact they have to be built as well, adding an item like this may permanently warp the economy into being more "auto farm" based than ever before.

I will not apply any designation to this yet because I am curious if there are ideas/further suggestions as to balance which may avoid the issue I have described above.

Mummieman

as seen in the image above it might be an idea of having uses on the builder wand.
    same way as the sell wand or lava sponge .
    as for other balancing things having diffrent levels of "builder enchantment" might do the trick for example
    builder 1 = 4 blocks
    builder 2= 6 blocks
    builder 3 = 8 blocks

neonhudson

I’m not too sure how this enchant would work exactly, but it seems you feel as though auto farms would be too accessible or more convenient to build using this tool. Obviously that is a possibility, so what if there was a way to ensure the wand could not build vertically? Auto farms typically have an upward based structure in regards to melon, cane, and pumpkin. Even though they are still in a solid layer like a manual crop would be, I don’t feel like those farms would become that much more desirable. To me, it makes sense that manual crop farms would become more popular to build because of how much more convenient it will become. A deterrent of manual farming is that you usually have to make your farm bigger than an auto farm because of the harvesting format, and being able to place 2,3,4 block side by side could cut manual farm building time in half. While cactus does have a vertical structure, the layout is formatted so that there are spaces surrounding four sides of the block, which would essentially make the wand useless except in building ice layers and a surrounding outside structure. Maybe I’m understanding this wrong or maybe you can’t make the wand place blocks only horizontally, but hopefully this is helpful and provides a somewhat thought out player POV.

As the choke for farm building is not how fast the farm can be built but instead is the sheer cost of dirt and sand I do not see the problem with the wand. The only thing I perceive would be the problem is it should only count 1 block being put down as payment for the building job. Would be awesome to have the wand delete too but make sure it drops nothing when you use a wand for that function.

Cactus

A possible way to make this more geared toward manual farms is to make it so it can only place dirt? (or dirt, stone brick, glass etc for building) Or have it not place any redstone items?

neonhudson

A possible way to make this more geared toward manual farms is to make it so it can only place dirt? (or dirt, stone brick, glass etc for building) Or have it not place any redstone items?
    I agree that a good deterrent would be the inability to place redstone, but I feel like the wand would be a fun incentive to have some cool buils intoduced since they will be easier to build. So really, I think only letting the want place things like dirt or soulsand for farming would be a buzzkill. But again, love the redstone idea, that almost ensures no autofarms will be build with the wand.

Nolan

Owner
    I agree that this may be the best way to go about it. Automatic Farms should always be more difficult to build than manual. It's possible that we just blacklist redstone related items. This would not limit creativity in any way I don't think. In terms of disallowed blocks, I would also put the more popular auto farm blocks as well (Cactus/Sugar Cane/Pumpkin)

As the choke for farm building is not how fast the farm can be built but instead is the sheer cost of dirt and sand I do not see the problem with the wand. The only thing I perceive would be the problem is it should only count 1 block being put down as payment for the building job. Would be awesome to have the wand delete too but make sure it drops nothing when you use a wand for that function.
    On Skyblock this is true. Since this is a suggestion for both servers it would make sense for it to have a mechanism that would suit both economies. Another balancing option we could use is it for charge you money based on the block type you are placing? I think this could add an interesting aspect to the wand rather than just having free unlimited reign to place things.

As for concerns with the Job payments, it would be a "non issue" since blocks placed by a wand would not be detected as being placed by a player. It would be pretty difficult to do this and the benefit would be minimal.

I’m not too sure how this enchant would work exactly, but it seems you feel as though auto farms would be too accessible or more convenient to build using this tool. Obviously that is a possibility, so what if there was a way to ensure the wand could not build vertically? Auto farms typically have an upward based structure in regards to melon, cane, and pumpkin. Even though they are still in a solid layer like a manual crop would be, I don’t feel like those farms would become that much more desirable. To me, it makes sense that manual crop farms would become more popular to build because of how much more convenient it will become. A deterrent of manual farming is that you usually have to make your farm bigger than an auto farm because of the harvesting format, and being able to place 2,3,4 block side by side could cut manual farm building time in half. While cactus does have a vertical structure, the layout is formatted so that there are spaces surrounding four sides of the block, which would essentially make the wand useless except in building ice layers and a surrounding outside structure. Maybe I’m understanding this wrong or maybe you can’t make the wand place blocks only horizontally, but hopefully this is helpful and provides a somewhat thought out player POV.
    Building horizontally would be much more beneficial for an auto farm. Players would build using horizontal rows of items and then just fly up or block up to place the next row of items. However this would be solved by the redstone suggestion.

as seen in the image above it might be an idea of having uses on the builder wand.
    same way as the sell wand or lava sponge .
    as for other balancing things having diffrent levels of "builder enchantment" might do the trick for example
    builder 1 = 4 blocks
    builder 2= 6 blocks
    builder 3 = 8 blocks
    This would need to be tuned down but I am not inherently against them having power levels. This would not be in the form of a custom enchantment though. We'd probably use a more modern format to store that information (such as NBT). Since we've made a variety of custom items on Cultivate, we have a lot of versatility here as to what can be stored on an item and how the item can use that information.

Some personal thoughts: I am not guaranteeing that this would be in anytime soon (reasons: development time, other updates pending etc.), but I do think this would be a fun custom item to have with the right balance.At the end of the day, Cultivate is meant to be a casual playing experience (non-competitive), and I think that eliminates many of the primary concerns that will be aired. I will designate this post with a Pending tag, so that it is at least known that it is being actively considered. I'd also love to hear some more discussion around this. I think there is definitely more to be fleshed out with this for sure.