Join our Official Discord server!

? users currently online.

play.CultivateMC.com

Click to copy IP address!

Hytale poll.

5 replies
Liked Member
LEVEL 1
As most of you know, a trailer for the game Hytale has come out, which is being made by the people behind the biggest minecraft server Hypixel, the question I want to ask is, how do you feel about the idea of Cultivate moving over to Hytale.

First here is a list of pros, mixed and cons, which you can add on to if you ask (note that I'm bias as I personally for moving to Hytale, if it turns out to be good.)

Pros:
Easier modding using the modding API. (better tools to add content)
Made by people that understand the problems that Minecraft has, especially what server creators have to deal with. (less chance of game breaking updates)
More diversity with ingame items (There are 7 types of weapons and plenty of different kinds) (would help to make OP items different)

Mixed:
Different Graphics and player models (more details but less freedom)

Cons:
There would be a lot of work to remake the code of Cultivate on Hytale.
We do not know how crops work in the game yet. (which could be disastrous or just a change in the meta)
Every player would have to buy Hytale (could turnoff players)

Here is the poll https://www.strawpoll.me/17077231

It is inportant to note that this poll is to get an idea of how people feel about it right now, but there will be another poll after the game comes out and has been out for a few months.
Posted Dec 19, 18 · OP · Last edited Dec 19, 18 by EditDotEXE
Dislike
Undo
ForeverNolan OWNER
Adored Member
LEVEL 2
I wasn't really planning to talk about this until the time comes, but I will say this.

Cultivate might not work on Hytale. The gamemode might not be transferable, and not a lot is known about Hytale. The game's server software is not going to be open sourced, which would make true modding and customization much more difficult. There is some progress on this end via some of the things they are planning to implement, but there are currently way too many questions that need to be answered.

If Hytale adopts a Roblox type monetization system, Cultivate will not move to it. If Hytale is not easily moddable or something that can be picked up by the current staff team (developers included), Cultivate won't go to Hytale. The game could easily be hyped up for about 6 months and then die out, which would make any expense put towards an expansion in this direction, a gigantic waste of donor money.

In my own opinion, it just seems like a way for Hypixel to cash in on their current reach within the Minecraft community. I don't see them making an ecosystem which will be friendly for community servers to prosper, and while I am still trying to make a final decision on the matter, I am leaning towards a no.

My concerns mentioned above don't even dive into my own time management issues, which I am currently having with running one Cultivate related server, let alone two. I would most likely have to bring in a manager type person to even make any second server a reality, Hytale or otherwise. I'm really not interested in having to pay someone a salary.

I hope this answers some of your questions,

Nolan
X4vSSmK.gif
Posted Dec 19, 18 · Last edited Dec 19, 18 by ForeverNol...
Undo
Liked Member
LEVEL 1
This helps clear up some issues with the posablity, though this was just a poll to see what people's interests were for the idea of moving the server over to the new game, it's main propose is to show what people's opinion on it is which is may not be the largest factor in the decision but it's still a factor, as if turns out it the game isn't good and doesn't live up to thew hype than it doesn't matter if everyone is giving a positive response and the opposite is true if it's a very negitive response but (unlikely) Mojang does something that makes it unviable to host a monetized Minecraft server.

I think you misunderstood me that I was measuring what people thought of another server that is on Hytale, it would be a big step, but if Hytale proves to be the better option, then it would be a logical one.

I personally don't know if Hytale is going to be a good game and a better game to host Cultivate, there is no way of me knowing, but if it is as good as the trailer shows and they are true to their word about the tools they give you to develop, than it's something that should be considered.

I know this question is very early and isn't even a representation of if the comunity wants, or even thinks it is a good idea yet as we don't have enough knowledge to substantiate the claims of the trailer.

Thank you again for stating your concerns and for doing so very quickly and with a lot of detail, it's really helpful.
Posted Dec 19, 18 · OP · Last edited Dec 19, 18 by EditDotEXE
Dislike
Undo
Liked Member
LEVEL 1
I wanted to post a little update on the information we have, pobably the only one and then I'll wait till it's out.

Most, if not all, of this information is from these two blog posts on the hytale website.
An overview of Hytale's server technology
In this article, we're going to introduce the technology that underpins every Hytale server - both how they work and how you'll interact with them. In order to do so we'll need to use some technical language, but we hope that you'll be excited by the work we're doing to make Hytale servers fast, easy to access, and secure.
The Hytale FAQ: December 13th 2018
We've just unleashed a hurricane of information about Hytale, so it's natural that you might have some questions. Below, you'll find an extensive FAQ covering many important topics, including an extra FAQ aimed squarely at content creators. What are the different ways that I can play Hytale?

One of which has been out since the trailer and the other is eight days old.

Big thing is that the server code is shared, well they in their words "Hytale’s server technology will be provided shared source, which means that everyone will be able to read the server code." but the client side code will be closed, which they stated was "to provide a common baseline for server operators and players. This allows us to provide a secure and reliable experience, guard against cheating, and provide modders and content creators with a shared foundation to work from."

Now this is another big thing, but can be stated way easier. Server code is in java and client is in C# stating "our backend team is very comfortable writing high-performance Java and that has let us heavily optimize our server code. Furthermore, we know that our community has a lot of experience with Java too" and for C# for the client with it "provides additional performance benefits"

The second to last thing from the eight day old blog post is "When you connect to a Hytale server, the client will automatically download all of the content needed in order to play - models, animations, sounds, and everything else." Which is good, but I'm not sure how safe that is, or how much worse it is to servers with resource packs.

They also state there will be a server browser, which a conscept image, and a friends list.

The only thing I can find of much worth stating from the old FAQ is this answer to the question "Will I be able to monetize Hytale content?"

"You will be able to make your own Hytale content and services and monetize them. There will be a lightweight set of rules and guidelines regarding the creation of monetized in-game content, as well as some basic do’s and don'ts with regards to using our IP. These rules are aimed at improving user security, prohibiting extreme content, combatting scamming, and so on. They will be informed by drawing from our own experiences operating our server and consulting with community members. We are very confident that our guidelines will be easy to agree to. A core goal of Hytale is to empower and enable all sorts of content creators, and we want you to be able to support yourselves by chasing your passions."

Do note that this is just their word on it and we won't know for sure untill it comes out, and I'm not a coder and not perfect so I might not fully understand this.

I hope this helps display all the important information well.

TL;DR
Server code is java and open, client code is closed and C# and clients can download all the mods from a server when joining. Also friends list and server browser.

Edit: changed open to shared since they aren't the same thing.
Posted Feb 2, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 2, 19 by EditDotEXE
ForeverNolan OWNER
Adored Member
LEVEL 2
All of the information provided is still very cryptic if you read closely, and I will provide a few short examples.

"Shared source" code is very different from "open source" code. Won't go into the details but open source is definitely preferred, and isn't what is happening.

As for what they've said about the rules, it really depends what they actually are. Many people argue that Mojang's EULA is "lightweight" and "fair" when neither are true.

Even if both of these things work out, my original point stands.. we don't know how the game actually plays and it could easily end up being a flop.
X4vSSmK.gif
Posted Feb 2, 19
Undo
Liked Member
LEVEL 1
My post was in no way a rebuttle to your post, it was just an update on what Hypixel studio says will be in the game.

I understand that even with what they say could still go either way, but I'd say if they don't live up to their promise on both points, then they might as well have been lying.

Again, I understand that it depends if the game is good.

Thanks for the response again, and for playing devil's advocate.
Posted Feb 2, 19 · OP
NoticeNotices