Join our Official Discord server!

? users currently online.

play.CultivateMC.com

Click to copy IP address!

Pending Suggestion Clearer wording of Griefing definintion

5 replies
The unbanned partner of the permabanned griefer catsinspace66 .. is arguing semantics why it is okay to grief as long as it is "wilderness". Towny PVP thinking. It is not called "wilderness" on our plugin. You can look on console for whole thing (12/14/18 7:47 am @ UTC -7)

But the point is not wanting him banned with his partner (I would just post in reports)
but to keep this from being a thing now that the server is flooding with people that found this as a factions genre in searches.

The original poster of rules has additional comment (CLAIM YOUR BUILDS) to the rule. Frankly I also saw that as permisson to grief as well. That is how Towny servers work and get players to buy more town blocks because all unclaimed is griefable. But my son who brought me is anti-pvp and honestly I came here to relax and ...farm.
It is better to put (READ TUTORIAL) and be sure that tutorial mentions the generous amount of set homes and blocks we start with. with reminder to claim build or as much of build as possible there.
When you consider how many monstrous unclaimed/ part claimed farms are out there... the damages possible are not small. Also what is a "build" some like a natural looking area and build underground. Or it is already structure like a in village, monument, dungeon, jungle temple.

In PvP servers, though I was not a major griefer but most my friends are and they would tear up on the first hour here...(which is why I have not brought any of them here- they are my buds but I know their dark hearts. They would be bored and cause oceans of salt before being banned >_< .)One can't stop every true chaos loving griefer that finds an unclaimed corner but proper wording can keep typical players honest. There are reasons an entire build might not be yet claimed. In my case, even after I acquired enough claim blocks, my vulnerable claim refused to extend. Yes operator error. Ii finally got a tip. I eventually had to abandon it and then be able to go corner to cornerNot everyone can acquire the rank or perk to have large amounts of claim blocks. Why punish them for not having loads of time to play or like me.. ability to donate?Edit: typo
Posted Dec 16, 18 · OP · Last edited Dec 16, 18 by AidakoneBe...
Dislike
Undo
A few hours after posting this the same person now is trying to appeal on behalf and justify working around the small claimed area using the very phrase I just mentioned as MISLEADING as F.
(CLAIM YOUR BUILDS)
= unclaimed is griefable in towny servers.
Instead of preventing avoidable grief by reminding a new member; it actually encourages others to try it,
That phrase needs to be removed from the clause about grief and put into player handbook instead.
Also tips on why your claim will not extend or work or disapear
Posted Dec 16, 18 · OP
Liked Member
LEVEL 1
I'm not sure where you are getting confused the rule states:

"Do NOT modify any build that does not belong to you. Do NOT take any
This includes unclaimed builds (CLAIM YOUR BUILDS.)

Right there it says that you can not modify or take items from unclaimed builds that are not yours, the (CLAIM YOUR BUILDS) is a remider to claim your build so that malicious players (players that don't care for the rules) can't cause damage that a mod/admin would have to fix. The only way it's misleading is if you don't read the text to the left of it.

I do agree that a book with the rules would be easier to navigate, but those can become out of date and could spread misinformation if an old one was kept, though there might be a way to tell the server to change the lore of the book to say that it's not upto date, deleting it or even updating it, but that would be a lot of work for a little help.
Posted Dec 17, 18 · Last edited Dec 18, 18 by EditDotEXE
I am not the one confused. :3
No grief *This includes unclaimed builds* was pretty clear.'I was just pointing out that the use of that phrase in Towny servers usually means no punishment for grief in unclaimed areas... which will lead players with less than honest intentions to do damage, steal from chests, etc. I have claims in rarer biomes so have become an unintentional target for things like harvesting my area, killing my creatures, building on my doorstep in any area I have no Yet claimed.

A valid point that books can become outdated- though book can state "Rules 201*" each year. The rules are really pretty simple for a non faction/no grief environment.

If it was not a big headache for the dev-on-tap a spawn that does not allow you to rtp until current rules are read in the chat menu owuld be the most efficient.
Posted Dec 18, 18 · OP · Last edited Dec 18, 18 by AidakoneBe...
Helpful
Undo
Liked Member
LEVEL 1
If that is the exact wording (or close) to towny servers I can kinda understand besides the fact that the server is not adverted as a towny server.

There isn't anyway to force a player to read the rules, and if there is it would most likely turn off almost everyone coming in, the best you can get is a timer before you can rtp that tells the player that they might as well read the rules.

The rules book being marked with a year, quarter and a statement that to trust only versions from this year's quarter would probably work without casuing much misinformation.
Posted Dec 19, 18
ForeverNolan OWNER
Adored Member
LEVEL 2
With the addition of a text captcha today, adding another step of making people read/accept the rules would be too invasive of a step. The griefing rule is not misleading at all, and delinquent players are going to ignore the rules anyways. It seems that you are forgetting the key here. It is nearly impossible to be griefed if your land is claimed. As someone with a donor rank and lots of playtime, this is easy for you to do. That isn't even mentioning that claim blocks are easily accessible at the moment considering the advent calendar rewards system, among the many other ways to obtain them. The nature of this post makes it seem that you can't be held responsible for being griefed, when the opposite is true. It is certainly not the server's fault (or mine) that you have been griefed. We provide the tools necessary to make this not happen, whether or not you choose to use them is your own problem. We help with rolling back grief and restoring it in the event of a rule break, which is more than what other servers will do if your land isn't claimed.

We will not be adding an interactive rules book, as the chat system is by far the best way to view the rules and their explanations. Books are way too limited in their spacing, and would probably be close to 40-50 pages.

Locking this because further discussion on a rule that is clearly defined isn't needed.
X4vSSmK.gif
Posted Dec 19, 18
Undo
NoticeNotices